The Dahlia Sewalong is wrapping up over on Colette's Sewalong site. Here's one of the resulting dresses!
This is Version 2. I picked a summery seersucker since it's a strappy sundress, but I think it actually works well with tights and a sweater too.
Before starting I was way more excited about Version 1 that I made out of a wool plaid [yet unblogged], but after finishing them both I think I might like this one more.
Fit wise, for my 33-27-38 measurements I cut 2-4-6. Most of the fit changes I did were on the front bodice - I actually trimmed quite a bit off both sides of the point where the strap is. I did it first after I made a mockup of the bodice, and then again after I tried the dress on before the straps were attached. Since it's sleeveless and the straps are just bias tape, it was a super easy alteration to do [although I did have to rip and redo a portion of the underarm bias tape, but it was worth it!].
The pattern called for 1/4" bias tape, but I made 3/8" for slightly wider straps.
I also ended up shaping the skirt a little less - there are angled portions of each seam near the top that were sticking slightly out on me, which was probably exaggerated by the fact that I cut out to a larger size at the hip. So I just went back after the fact and took those portions of the seams in a bit, then trimmed the pattern pieces to match so they'd be ready for next time.
My great-grandma knitted the hat I'm wearing. She seems to have threaded elastic through the edge of it to keep it from stretching out, which I think is very clever.
I waited forever for a train to go by on the trestle and bridge above me - there are so many trains in Nashville! - but it was freezing and I finally gave up. Right as I was starting my car to leave one came barreling by, naturally.