Thursday, January 23, 2014

Victory Patterns Chloe Dress

I made this dress for a wedding I went to over the summer, and I haven't worn it since.

When I put it on the other day, I smacked myself in the forehead and questioned my sanity in this choice. Because cuteness!

This dress is a bit of a departure for me style wise, as I'm most comfortable in full, gathered skirt. [More places to hide my clunky phone? assorted treasures? cookies?] But I decided to be a pioneer for myself and make something a little more fitted. I really loved the striped version on the cover of the Chloe Dress by Victory Patterns [and it has pockets!] so winner it was.

The main fabric I chose was Robert Kaufman's Essex cotton/linen blend. Because of the linen it can be a little bit wrinkly, but I just choose to refer to it as 'texturey,' and I am immediately relinquished of any ironing obligations. It's amazing!

I think what really makes this dress is the vintage floral print trim. The pattern already has the contrast binding around the neck and armholes and the pocket tabs, but I added the flat piping in the seams on the front and back. The fabric was a random scrap I had swiped from a fabric donation to my previous place of employment. Who knows where it's from or where it's been, but now it's in a dress in my closet. So there.

Also, if you're wondering why I'm holding my aforementioned clunky phone in some of these pictures, it's because I was using a new camera remote system. One thing I'm trying to get better at is taking pictures of myself in the garments I make. So I bought this allegedly nifty little device poetically named the Nikon WU-1A.

You plug it into the camera, download the free app, and connect your phone to the little device's wifi network. Then you can use the app as a shutter remote, see a live view of the shot, tap the part of the photo that you want to be in focus, and then download the pictures to your phone if you want. Sounds pretty cool.


I did not think of how absurd it would be to be holding a giant iPhone in all the pictures. It's kind of hard to hide, and it's also challenging to blindly push the shutter button on your screen, as any pre-front-camera-era selfie-taker knows. [Don't lie, you've done it.]

Also it seemed to have a horrible range, and the app constantly crashed, leading to several unplanned pictures that looked something like this.

So I think I need to look for a new remote. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to hear!

Project Specs
Pattern: Chloe Dress by Victory Patterns
Main Fabric: Robert Kaufman Essex Cotton/Linen Blend in Indigo
Trim: Random scrap from stranger


  1. I can hear you talking to your phone on that last shot! :)

  2. This is so cute! I love it on you! The piping is a nice touch! I haven't yet gotten on the remote train, although I probably should so I can stop torturing my poor family members by making them photograph me!

  3. I have that vintage cotton print--it's a Cranston print works piece, made in the late 70's I think. The whole series was super--my mom made me Barbie clothes with the quilting leftovers!

  4. Devon I have a crazy question for you. Did you line this? I have a nice thick marimekko cotton that I want to use for this pattern and I am wondering if lining this dress is a must. I feel like this question sounds lazy but I am asking it just the same. Any of your amazing guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

    1. i did line both of the ones i made, but i think if your fabric is thick enough it should be ok! you'll just have lots of seam lines on the inside. but i've seen the colette laurel made up in a bunch of different quilting cottons, which is kind of the same idea of dress but unlined, and it never looked like it needed lining.

      i would say though the definitely make a muslin, because i ended up taking in all the seams around the waist to make it a bit curvier. not sure if you'll need to do that or not, but out of the envelope the pattern fit me a bit looser and straighter. just fyi! i bet it will be adorable!!

  5. I really like the solid color with the patterned piping! It's such a flattering cut, and though I've only sewn one of the dress so far, I've got many fabrics set aside for possible Chloes. My Chloe was a little more ALL CAPS ( and I like the versatility of less print, more solid that you've put together here.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.


Related Posts with Thumbnails