When I saw a recipe for two ingredient ice cream from Cookies and Cups on Pinterest, I knew it wouldn't leave my head until I made it.
Just cream and sweetened condensed milk. I mean, two ingredients? No ice cream maker?? No frozen solid brick of shudder-inducing ice crystals??? It couldn't be.
But it totally worked. The texture is soft and light. It tastes like real, homemade ice cream. It's a little on the sweet side, but it's so little work I don't feel I have the right to complain.
I whipped up a batch for my lovey on Valentine's day, because ice cream is his favorite food on the planet. It worked out much better than last year, when I tried to make a batch of 'healthy' valentine's day ice cream out of almond milk. It was a terrifyingly weird gritty slushy mess. I showed it to him so that he knew I tried, but I did not allow him to eat it.
This year went much better.
To make the strawberry heart, just slice a strawberry crosswise to get a circle, then trim it down into a heart shape. Plop it right on top before you freeze it. Cuteness!
[PS - I tragically don't have a stand mixer, so I used a hand mixer to whip the cream and it worked just fine.]
Super Shortcut Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
1 batch basic 2 ingredient ice cream
[do not include vanilla]
1 pint strawberries
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp vodka
1 ripe banana
1. Cut strawberries and banana into bite sized chunks.
2. Mix strawberries, water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
3. Mix vodka into cooled strawberries [this helps prevent the liquid in them from freezing too hard].
4. Mix up ice cream according to recipe. Stir in strawberry mixture and bananas.
5. Pour into glass or plastic containers and freeze overnight.