Yes, I know. Two recipes in a row. I just want to make sure everyone is BBQ ready for this weekend.
I've said before that I love things in miniature. Sliders are no exception. Baby burgers! These hearty little bites are full of a mouth-stuffing goodness that's actually pretty healthy. They're also vegetarian. They would be PERFECT with the spiked lavender lemonade I posted last week. And how about some Blue Moon cupcakes for dessert?
If you can't find Chipotle hot sauce, feel free to use your favorite kind. I just love the smokiness of chipotle.
Also just a warning: the corn muffin buns are pretty crumbly and make eating these a little messy. You might want to have a bag of dinner rolls on hand just in case. You can also just buy premade rolls or muffins and skip making them completely!
Black Bean Sliders with Creamy Chipotle Sauce and Cornbread Buns
For the burgers:
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 small egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle hot sauce
1 tbsp barbeque sauce
1 tsp chili powder
For the chipotle sauce:
1/4 c greek yogurt
2 tsp chipotle hot sauce
For the buns:
2 packages Jiffy corn muffin mix
2/3 cup milk
OR 12 premade dinner rolls or corn muffins
For burger assembly:
2 small tomatoes (like Roma)
1. Follow the package instructions on the Jiffy mix to make 12 corn muffins, or buy them premade. Let them cool and carefully slice them in half.
2. In a medium bowl, lightly mash black beans. Add onion, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp hot sauce, barbeque sauce and chili powder. Stir until well combined. Mixture will be sticky.
3. Heat a grill pan or skillet or line your grill with heavy duty foil. Brush with oil. Make patties by the heaping tablespoon and grill over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
4. In a small bowl, mix yogurt and 2 tsp hot sauce until well combined.
5. Assemble sliders: on bottom of corn muffins, stack burger patty, dollop of chipotle sauce, tomato, lettuce, and top of corn muffin. Use a toothpick to hold it all together if necessary.